Friday, April 01, 2005

dressing emotions

So, I spent most of Tuesday ruing my decision to make myself a salad the night before as my body did everything in its power to rid itself of the dressing that I had found so innocently lying in wait in my refrigerator. Evil dressing. Nevertheless, food poisoning does open up quite a lot of time for reading, so I made it through about the first 50 pages of my book (Silence), not including the Introduction and Prologue I had read in an earlier sitting. Note to future readers of this book: I highly recommend the Intro and Prologue.

Why? Because without them I would feel even more ignorant than I already did. So far this book has evoked in me a spectrum of feelings: ignorance of world (and in this case, Japanese) history; shock and sadness at the ways in which the Japanese Christians of that day (mid 1600s) were persecuted; anger at the "missionary" attitude of the Portuguese priests and the emptiness of religious ritual apart from truth and relationship; and curiosity at the fact that apparently there is a Japanese phrase used by a 17th century Portuguese priest most closely translated into English as "helter-skelter." Now that I have gotten into my book, I am greatly intrigued as to how it will all turn out, and what emotion I will feel next.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for books. I'm glad you finally got the book Sonja. I have to say that I devoured the book Lauren picked. This something I normally don't allow myself to do during the school year. However, since school is work now, and it goes year-round, well....it felt good.
~pam

Anonymous said...

you should add a link on your site to drew and john's rad travel blog.

hmb said...

Just so you know--all comments from anonymous have actually been posted by john paasonen or drew bierlein, who inadvertently gained access to this website. please ignore any of their comments for self-promotion.

Indicopleustés said...

Hi Suz! I'm a historian studying the catholic missions in Asia during the Early Modern Age... mostly India, actually. What's the title of the book you refer to?
Thanks

Paolo